1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays. This technique was used extensively when ratcheting up attacks during the Iraq war.
President Barack Obama delivers "New Nationalism" Address on the Economy at Osawatomie High School, Kansas, on 6 December 2011. http://www.youtube.com/embed/W_oEWrBKHTA
terrorists, etc. The people of Iran have become scapegoats while right wing syncophants advochttp://theissueslist.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-united-fascist-state.htmlate war with Iran.
4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized. The G.W. Bush administration bankrupted every state in the union and drove us into economic crisis with unfunded wars of choice. Obama embraces the Bush agenda.
5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sexism-pervade-white-house/story?id=14559177#.Ucht4_FhJ4w
6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common. Obama's recent moves for absolute control of the media have become a real concern. http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/who-owns-the-media-the-6-monolithic-corporations-that-control-almost-everything-we-watch-hear-and-read
7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses. http://www.aim.org/aim-column/media-embrace-obamas-controversial-picks-for-national-security-team/
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions. All three Abrahamic traditions oppose wars of choice, but Bush and Obama, while claiming religious fealty, continued to pursue platforms based in endless war. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2009/0122/p01s02-usgn.html
9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite. http://clearingthefogradio.org/escalation-protecting-corporate-interests-terrorism-in-the-us/
10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed. Union membership is dwindling, now around 8% http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120902/articles/120909952
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations. (DHS & NSA) http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130523/OPINION03/305230086/Obama-staff-has-lost-sense-balance-over-leaks-obsession
Fortune 500 firms often pay nothing for our US timber and oil.
14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.